Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake

I offered to make a dessert of my friend's choosing and she requested peanut butter, chocolate or strawberry. I decided two out of three was good and found a great recipe for a chocolate peanut butter cake.

I made a boxed chocolate cake, triple chocolate fudge. I found a great recipe for peanut butter cream cheese icing and a chocolate peanut butter ganache on the Smitten Kitchen from August of 2008. A friend of mine referred me to this blog and it has some mouth watering recipes, although these are the first ones I've tried.

The author doesn't encourage natural peanut butter because the oil separates from the peanut butter so much, however when you make it fresh, like I did today, that problem doesn't exist. Plus, I've fallen in love with home made peanut butter and don't think I could make myself buy some.



I did two 8" round cakes and decided to cut both cakes, which I usually don't do. I put a layer of peanut butter icing between the two layers of cake and then iced the entire thing.


Then, following the suggestion of Smitten Kitchen, I made the chocolate peanut butter ganache, which I love because it sounds so fancy. Then I poured it over the top of the iced cake.








The final product turned out super pretty and very yummy. We had our friends over to share it with us and I think they enjoyed it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment