Friday, September 24, 2010

Butternut Squash Pizza

Last week, we went to this beautiful farm right outside of Yellow Springs, OH. I don't remember the name of this farm, but we did get some beautiful produce. We picked raspberries, got some jonathan apples, heirloom tomatoes and butternut squash.

I made a meal with the butternut squash the day we bought the squash, but had all this leftover squash and decided to make a pizza with it.

First, I made a pizza crust using Fleischmann's Pizza Crust Yeast. It's an easy recipe and has no wait to rise time, as it rises while it cooks. I highly suggest it for those who don't want to spend the day waiting for their pizza dough to be ready.

Half-way through the caramelizing process
Next, I caramelized a yellow onion. For those of you who don't cook a lot, or even those who do caramelizing onions is different from cooking them down, as I learned last night. It takes about 25-30 minutes of cooking the onions really well to really pull out all the sweetness from the onions. It's worth taking the time to do this because it was delicious.

I had already sauteed the butternut squash for the meal I'd made earlier in the week, so I just cubed what I had remaining.




It was then time to assemble the pizza, first I spread out the pizza dough onto a pizza stone and brushed it with some olive oil.








Then I put the butternut squash on the pizza.









Then came the caramelized onions.









Then I crumbled on the goat cheese. The final step was to put some salt, pepper and oregano  on the pizza for seasoning. I baked this at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes.







And this was the final product. It was super yummy. While this crust is delicious, I think these toppings are better for a flat bread pizza, so with the left over toppings, I'm going to try that tomorrow. Does anyone want to hear the results of that?

Enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment