Monday, July 12, 2010

Apple Crisp

While at my aunt's house for Sunday night dinner, I noticed she had an apple tree with tons of small green apples on it. They are either crab apples or granny smith, but I'm not 100% sure. So I picked a few dozen apples and brought them home.  I knew I had to find something to do with these fresh apples, especially since I knew I'd go back for more.

The first thing to come to mind was this amazing apple crisp a friend had brought over for dessert not too long ago. It had oatmeal in it and she served it with vanilla ice cream, so I had to figure out how to repeat this. And after looking at dozens of apple crisp recipes, this is what I came up with.

Ingredients:
1 cup flour
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup oatmeal
1/2 cup melted butter
4 - 5 cups chopped apples (peeled)
1/2 cup white sugar
2-3 tbs of cinnamon

Preheat the oven to 350F. In one bowl, mix together the flour, brown sugar, oatmeal and melted butter. In another bowl, mix together the chopped apples, white sugar and cinnamon. 
Layer half of the oatmeal mixture on the bottom of an 8" pan. Layer the apple mixture over that and finally, top with the remainder of the oatmeal mixture. Bake this for 45 minutes. The top should get golden brown.



It's a really simple recipe, but is really delicious. I suggest you serve this warm and with ice cream. Or do what I do and eat what's left over for breakfast. :)

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

The apple crisp was delish! Next time I think we should use 1-2 extra cups of apples.

Post a Comment